Thursday, February 10, 2011

What Really Matters

    Lets face it, we all get nervous sometimes. I got really nervous on January 29th. I was getting ready to go to a dance with my friends it was our first dance and we were all really excited. The theme of the dance was to dress up as a nerd. I think that I ended up trying over 15 different ways to do my hair. I ended up just putting it in a side ponytail. I popped the lenses out of my 3D glasses and put those on. When it came to what I should wear I was stuck. I had no idea what to wear to a nerd dance! I called my friends who were going with me and we all decided to wear black shirts with some jeans because you still want to look cute even though you are supposed to be dressing up as a nerd.
    On the way there my friends and I were just giggling! We were so nervous and I think we were all hoping that somebody would ask us to dance. I mean after all we are still girls. When we arrived at the dance, we went into the gym and noticed that not a lot of people were there. It was a few minutes past 8 and we were the losers who showed up on time. We decided to go into the bathroom and just wait for a while. We just sat on the counters and talked about how excited we were and how we hoped the more boys would show up.
    A few minutes after we went back in a high schooler asked my friend (who is is 8th grade) to dance. While they were dancing my other friend and I went over to get a drink and eat some of the refreshments. When the song was almost over we decided to go back to where we were before so our friend could find us. During the rest of the night we all danced with some boys and we all had a wonderful night.
    It was almost time to go and the last slow song was on. I looked over at a boy who I had kind of been watching. He hadn’t danced with anyone that whole night so, I went over there and asked him to dance. After we had been dancing for a while I noticed that this boy had special needs. I didn’t know that he had special needs just by looking at him. As soon as it was 11 he looked right at his watch and told me that he had to go and call his parents so he went and called his parents and I just walked over to my little group of friends. I felt a tap on my shoulder I turned around and there was a lady that I didn’t know. She told me that she knew that boy that I danced with and she thanked me for dancing with him. She told me that he was really excited to come and the whole night he hadn’t danced with anyone. After she walked away the boy came up to me and made me promise that I would be at the next dance.
     It was this night that I realized something very important. Sometimes it isn’t just me and what I want and need that is important. It is about what others need and want. When I found out that this boy had been waiting all night to dance and that I had made his night by dancing with him, well, I think that made me feel better than if I had danced with the cutest boy there. I felt great as I left that dance! You can bet that I will look for him at the next dance and make sure that I dance with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment